Thursday 27 February 2014

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

How long does it take to write a blog post? A life time. This is one of those posts that has taken a lifetime of experience to write.

This isn't going to be extremely profound, but these are things I have to write about because if I don't write it down, I might lose it forever.

My New Year resolutions don't matter to me anymore. I have found myself constantly writing down things to be grateful for, least I forget how lucky I really am. I speak freely about my circumstances and have found a strengthening of my Faith. But all this certainly doesn't made me brave. It just means like you, I woke up this morning and went through the usual rituals (albeit slower than before) and life carried on.

The first lesson I learnt this year is, "Not to Sweat the Small Stuff", there really is no time to waste. Life is so short and what you think is so important a this exact moment, might be the last thought or deed you share with a particular person.

How terrible to live with your last conversation being about how much leaving the toilet seat up irritates you. There is a limited amount of time you have to be with the ones you love,  don't spend them pointing out how short they fall of your expectations. I challenge you to re-evaluate your expectations and weigh them up against the chance it might be the last thing you say.

I am not advocating not standing up for what you really believe, but the trivia of life consumes us so much,we miss out on enjoying a person for who they truly are. If that person makes your life unbearable, perhaps you should detox and detach. I have done that, the freedom in a minimalist approach to friends is liberating.

So there you have my first in "Truths I have learnt in Life". I hope someone will think twice before they speak and save themselves the guilt that could have been changed to joy in a blink of an eye.

Real Joy. Here is boy who never saw his dreams come true.                      Picture Huntshots

3 comments:

tigger said...

Thank you for sharing this Rose! Its so easy to get caught up and forget what really matters. Thank you for the reminder. Life is far far too short xx

Tuinmeisie said...

So true, Rose. I do try to live like this every day.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

So true Rose. Life is too short a journey to waste on things that do not matter!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels